Tax accountants help individuals and organizations prepare their tax returns. Their tasks include collecting paperwork, analyzing the information, reviewing financial documents, asking questions for clarification, listening carefully to the client and preparing a thorough document. A bachelor’s degree is required for this position. Successful tax accountants possess strong mathematical skills, communication skills, the ability to analyze data, computer skills, in-depth knowledge of tax laws, attention to detail and a high level of organization.
A good resume is well-written and concise. It should be neat and easy to read, listing previous experience in a logical order.
Our resume samples will provide you with multiple examples of what you can include when writing your resume.
The Best Tax Accountant Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Tax Accountant resumes for your reference.
- Determined corrective action for unanalyzed balances within 30 days.
- Maintained supporting documentation for journal entries and other documents to support decision making.
- Identified areas that could be improved and/or streamlined to better manage responsibilities; late loads, filing standards, and license review.
- Managed work process through PowerPlan including importing of asset data, accessor information maintenance, and updates to the state/county depreciation schedules.
- Solely responsible for the processing of over 1,000 tax bills from five different states in line with statutory deadlines.
- Reviewed high volume of assessment notices to identify variances and researched items needing additional review.
- Responsibilities include accounting; data entry, prepare invoices, accounts receivable, accounts payable, preparation of financial statements and journal entries, financial and tax planning.
- Prepared payroll checks and made tax deposits, reconciliation of banks, investment accounts, credit card statements and tax returns with company books.
- Preparation of tax returns includes payroll, sales, franchise, personal property and corporate tax returns.
- Collaborating with the IRS and other taxing authorities on inquiries and audits internally.
- Research and consult on tax and audit projects providing state and federal filing services.
- Preparation & filing of extensions, quarterly estimates, and completing additional tax projects as assigned.
- Working together with tax & audit seniors, managers, and partners for accurate and timely tax filing for our client.
- Providing professional customer service in handling confidential and time-sensitive tax information.
- Interviewing clients to obtain additional information on taxable income and deductible expenses and allowances.
- Assisting with developing, recommending, and implementing efficient and effective methods to maximize client benefits, especially by decreasing clients’ current and future taxes.
- Documenting all significant tax positions, clearly, correctly, and in accordance with the office policies (by creating memorandums to the files tax issues Memos) and ensuring that proper documentation is archived to file.
- Willingly accepted projects to ensure truth in reporting/filings while supporting various departments.
- Composed and maintained monthly reports as requested to aid with speed and accuracy.
- Authored Policy and Procedures which served in aiding new hires to help perform job duties and responsibilities.
- Meticulously discovered errors in reporting further reducing the company’s tax liability thus avoiding unnecessary overpayments, and ensured the balance sheet was current while mitigating chance of error.
- Completes all related tax forms in accordance with policies, and in compliance with legislations and regulations.
- Resolves clients’ complaints, or research tax related questions and issues within a timely manner.
- Conducts a thorough in-person interview with potential clients, using One Stop propriety tax software application.
- Consult tax law handbooks or bulletins to determine procedures for preparation of typical tax returns.
- Reconcile all general ledger (gl) accounts relating to taxes for month, quarter, and year end closings, ensuring correctness and accuracy.
- Conduct research related to federal, state, and local tax laws to apply appropriate tax positions.
- Coordinate with human resources department and outside insurance providers to obtain information to be reported on our annual Form 5500 for employee benefit plans.
- Controlling and preparing general ledger entries including prepayments, accruals, and allocations.
- Preparing segment analysis and reports for Operations Controller, Operations Manager, and Field Segment Managers for planning purposes.
- Preparing Fiscal analysis and management fiscal reconciliation in accordance with Local/ Country tax requirements.
- Collect appropriate data and prepares state and local sales/use tax returns for multiple jurisdictions.
- Work with finance and sales team to maximize tax deduction or tax recovery on transaction cost.
- Reduce complexity and implemented tax reporting process that resulted in tax refund from states of over $ 150k.
- Communicate with state and local jurisdiction personnel to follow up on tax questions and/or tax notices.
- Determine what dividend income meets the 60 day qualification rules presented by tax law.
- Define trust type by reading and researching trust documents such as Trust Agreements and Wills.
- Reconcile oil well royalty income, expenses to determine correct depletion totals.
- Review allowance of capital losses and wash sales, calculating the timeframe in which losses are acceptable.
- Prepare reconciliations of various intercompany accounts and transactions necessary for internal control purposes throughout tax compliance process.
- Contribute to cross functional special projects related to tax planning, mergers, and acquisitions.
- Develop and respond to all domestic information requests from internal/external financial auditors and federal/state revenue agencies pertaining to income, and franchise.
- Audit internal financial records, tax returns, and tax records of subsidiaries’ tax returns for compliance with Federal and State income tax laws.
You need to make sure your resume stands out amongst the other candidates. It is the first impression that employers have of your work experience and skills. Use the samples above to put together a resume that best suits your needs and helps you get the job you want.