Tax accountants help individuals and organizations prepare their tax returns. Their tasks include collecting paperwork, analyzing the information, reviewing financial documents, asking questions for clarification, listening carefully to the client and preparing a thorough document. A bachelor’s degree is required for this position. Successful tax accountants possess strong mathematical skills, communication skills, the ability to analyze data, computer skills, in-depth knowledge of tax laws, attention to detail and a high level of organization.
A good resume is well-written and concise. It should be neat and easy to read, listing previous experience in a logical order.
Our resume samples will provide you with multiple examples of what you can include when writing your resume.
The Best Tax Accountant Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Tax Accountant resumes for your reference.
- Determined corrective action for unanalyzed balances within 30 days.
- Maintained supporting documentation for journal entries and other documents to support decision-making.
- Identified areas that could be improved and/or streamlined to better manage responsibilities; late loads, filing standards, and license review.
- Accounted for $6.8 billion in revenues and reconciled accounts on 30+ clients.
- Provided analytical services by identifying and correcting tax, compliance, and valuation issues.
- Managed work process through PowerPlan including importing of asset data, accessor information maintenance, and updates to the state/county depreciation schedules.
- Solely responsible for the processing of over 1,000 tax bills from five different states in line with statutory deadlines.
- Reviewed a high volume of assessment notices to identify variances and researched items needing additional review.
- Improved internal control by implementing policies to prevent fraud and misuse of company assets.
- Represented the company to external auditors, resulting in an increase of business from $10 million to $30 million in just one year.
- Responsibilities include accounting; data entry, preparing invoices, accounts receivable, accounts payable, preparation of financial statements and journal entries, financial and tax planning.
- Prepared payroll checks and make tax deposits, reconciliation of banks, investment accounts, credit card statements, and tax returns with company books.
- Preparation of tax returns includes payroll, sales, franchise, personal property, and corporate tax returns.
- Delivered clean audit opinions on business valuations with minimal adjustments after conducting Internal Revenue Service (IRS) reviews.
- Completed audits for two family-controlled business entities resulting in maximizing tax savings and minimizing audit adjustments.
- Collaborating with the IRS and other taxing authorities on inquiries and audits internally.
- Researched and consult on tax and audit projects providing state and federal filing services.
- Preparation & filing of extensions, quarterly estimates, and completing additional tax projects as assigned.
- Working together with tax & audit seniors, managers, and partners for accurate and timely tax filing for our client.
- Reviewed, analyzed, and verified information from client corporations on a timely basis to meet deadlines; reflected the expectations of the auditors.
- Providing professional customer service in handling confidential and time-sensitive tax information.
- Interview clients to obtain additional information on taxable income and deductible expenses and allowances.
- Assisting with developing, recommending, and implementing efficient and effective methods to maximize client benefits, especially by decreasing clients’ current and future taxes.
- Documenting all significant tax positions, clearly, correctly, and in accordance with the office policies (by creating memorandums to the files tax issues Memos) and ensuring that proper documentation is archived to file.
- Monitored federal and state tax issues, court decisions, and administrative rulings through a variety of media sources; summarized essential information to assist in the preparation of tax returns.
- Willingly accepted projects to ensure truth in reporting/filings while supporting various departments.
- Composed and maintained monthly reports as requested to aid with speed and accuracy.
- Authored Policy and Procedures which served in aiding new hires to help perform job duties and responsibilities.
- Meticulously discovered errors in reporting further reducing the company’s tax liability thus avoiding unnecessary overpayments, and ensured the balance sheet was current while mitigating the chance of error.
- Created business structure charts that illustrate the impact on individual income tax returns; referred to as procedures manual when assisting new staff members with filing corporate tax returns.
- Completes all related tax forms in accordance with policies, and in compliance with legislation and regulations.
- Resolves clients’ complaints, or research tax-related questions and issues within a timely manner.
- Conducts a thorough in-person interview with potential clients, using the One-Stop propriety tax software application.
- Consult tax law handbooks or bulletins to determine procedures for the preparation of typical tax returns.
- Prepared financial statements and tax returns for individuals and businesses according to the powers and limitations of the IRS.
- Reconcile all general ledger (gl) accounts relating to taxes for a month, quarter, and year-end closings, ensuring correctness and accuracy.
- Conduct research related to federal, state, and local tax laws to apply for appropriate tax positions.
- Coordinate with the human resources department and outside insurance providers to obtain information to be reported on our annual Form 5500 for employee benefit plans.
- Researched, interpreted, and applied tax codes in order to determine appropriate federal income tax rates for clients.
- Researched banking regulations, assessed risk factors, and implemented resolutions to debit institutions.
- Controlling and preparing general ledger entries including prepayments, accruals, and allocations.
- Preparing segment analysis and reports for Operations Controller, Operations Manager, and Field Segment Managers for planning purposes.
- Preparing Fiscal analysis and management fiscal reconciliation in accordance with Local/ Country tax requirements.
- Guided clients through audits by demonstrating knowledge of audit procedures; formed relationships between auditors, IRS officials, banking regulatory agencies; led to successful resolutions.
- Actively participated in audits; recognized a fraudulent scheme before the audit was initiated; prevented client from incurring unnecessary penalties and liabilities.
- Collect appropriate data and prepare state and local sales/use tax returns for multiple jurisdictions.
- Worked with finance and sales team to maximize tax deduction or tax recovery on transaction cost.
- Reduce complexity and implemented tax reporting process that resulted in tax refund from states of over $ 150k.
- Communicate with state and local jurisdiction personnel to follow up on tax questions and/or tax notices.
- Brought an average of $2.5 million per year to my firm by expanding our tax clients and aggressively seeking new customers.
- Determine what dividend income meets the 60-day qualification rules presented by tax law.
- Define trust type by reading and researching trust documents such as Trust Agreements and Wills.
- Reconcile oil well royalty income, expenses to determine correct depletion totals.
- Review allowance of capital losses and wash sales, calculating the timeframe in which losses are acceptable.
- Assisted a collection agency in achieving a 33% increase in sales by developing a system that more effectively decreased customer complaints and allowed for more effective follow-up.
- Prepared reconciliations of various intercompany accounts and transactions necessary for internal control purposes throughout tax compliance process.
- Contribute to cross-functional special projects related to tax planning, mergers, and acquisitions.
- Develop and respond to all domestic information requests from internal/external financial auditors and federal/state revenue agencies pertaining to income, and franchise.
- Audit internal financial records, tax returns, and tax records of subsidiaries’ tax returns for compliance with Federal and State income tax laws.
- Proven ability to accurately complete monthly tax preparation for six companies worth over $2 million annually, while maintaining 100% accuracy, on time, every quarter.
You need to make sure your resume stands out amongst the other candidates. It is the first impression that employers have of your work experience and skills. Use the samples above to put together a resume that best suits your needs and helps you get the job you want.