Accountants collect, organize, and maintain financial records. Accountants typically work in public accounting, corporate accounting, government accounting, non-profit accounting, and small business settings. Their day-to-day duties include interpreting and applying tax laws, preparing financial statements and reports based on their findings, researching past data to prepare forecasts or projections of future data, and overseeing the accounting department of the company. Accountants need a bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration (BBA) with a concentration in accounting to be successful. In addition, accountants need to have strong analytical skills, good critical thinking skills, excellent problem-solving skills, strong attention to detail, the ability to work under pressure, and strong communication skills.
A good resume is well-written and concise. It should be neat and easy to read, listing previous experience in a logical order.
Our resume samples will provide you with multiple examples of what you can include when writing your resume.
The Best Accountant Resume Samples
These are some examples of accomplishments we have handpicked from real Accountant resumes for your reference.
- Managed licensee incentive packages, including ensuring contracts are completed, payments are made timely and necessary accruals are booked.
- Followed up with clients on routine questions and work with them to collect necessary information for completion and compliance.
- Analyzed data to detect deficient controls, duplicate efforts, fraud and non-compliance with laws, regulations and company’s policies.
- Coordinated and maintained internal controls along with policies and procedures in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Conducted over one hundred audits for business owners, managers, and accountants in a diverse range of industries.
- Tracks outstanding and stale-dated checks for Tax Refund, Tax Redemption, and Self-Insurance divisions.
- Records journal entries for large internal wire transfers between various operating and trust bank accounts.
- Monitors non-pooled investment activity and reconciles discrepancies between Sympro interface and general ledger.
- Responsible for receiving and documenting NSF check notices, and alerting contacts in each division of returned checks.
- Developed and maintained an effective method for producing reports on large-scale financial transactions including sales commissions, commissions on sales volume, gross income statements, statements of cash flow/expenditures.
- Input invoices in Great Plains system, process payment wire transfers, perform reconciliations,credit cards, checks, and apply them.
- Oversee the keying of daily receipts (including wires, ACH and checks) ensuring that wire fees and other agreed write-off arrangements are accomplished on a timely basis to ensure accurate maintenance of accounts receivable balances.
- Processed invoice bill backs, open & unidentified invoice research, short payment research, and vendor deductions.
- Designed and implemented a system that increased efficiency and effectiveness of different business divisions within the organization.
- Researched new technologies in order to improve the organization’s potential for growth by identifying ways to capitalise on emerging markets trends.
- Post customer payments by record invoice entry, cash receipt and check deposit transactions.
- Checked and approve all vouchers and employee reimbursements forms for payments.
- Review accounting documentations to ensure accuracy of information and calculations and makes or directs correcting entries.
- Analyze expenses and expense accruals to ensure they are recorded appropriately on a monthly basis.
- Recognized as the most accurate and detailed employee in the audit department; received $1,000 bonus for demonstrating excellence in attention to detail.
- Preparing income tax for individuals and companies; Identifying potential tax credits and liabilities and ensure accurate and complete returns are filled in a timely manner.
- Completion of tax forms in accordance with policies and in compliance with legislation and regulations.
- Maintaining payables, receivables, and reconciliation of banks and credits; preparing payrolls using Quickbooks.
- Acquired experience in Federal, State, and Local government audits; audited financial reports for potential errors and reporting requirements.
- Gathered business intelligence to help determine future market demands while tracking regulatory compliance standards; audited corporations’ financial reports accordingly.
- Managed and maintain the monthly end close process in the areas of general ledger, accruals, payroll. Prepare balance sheet accounts reconciliation.
- Establish and maintain an efficient and accurate month-end close cycle.
- Assisted with accounting-related projects, such as process improvements and system implementations (NetSuite).
- Performed financial statement analytics and provide relevant explanations for fluctuations.
- Develop relationships and work closely with partners to continuously improve the billing and reporting process.
- Ensures accuracy of daily revenue reports by verifying and summarizing the reported daily revenues, maintaining a spreadsheet analysis of data and distributing the information to appropriate management following established procedures.
- Ensures financial accuracy by generating reports, reconciling accounts, researching and correcting errors to the general ledger, monitoring outstanding checks, maintaining a valid outstanding check listing, preparing bank reconciliations, enforcing adherence with federal and state requirements, and advising management on needed actions.
- Assists with month-end closing by compiling and analyzing information, preparing entries and reconciling general ledger accounts, and providing accounting procedure information to appropriate personnel.
- Maintains accounting controls by researching and interpreting accounting policies, procedures and regulations, preparing findings, and informing appropriate personnel.
- Received significant additional experience while completing an accelerated Master of Business Administration program during evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- As Per the operations and logistics position I update computer system with shipment details, Ensure all merchandise is properly tracked and routed inside warehouse.
- I also overseen inventory counts and resolved discrepancies, complete quarterly inventory counts and log details into computer system as well as creating carton packet and pallet labels, inventory reports and audit for the logistic and operations department.
- In the accounting department I handle A/P and A/R, purchase orders and invoicing.
- Managed departmental budget, accounts payable, bank reconciliation, and cash flow.
- Researched, analyzed and verified transactions through transactions management system.
- Processed bi-weekly multi-company and multi-state payroll for 100+ employee counts.
- Managed all tax, garnishments, prior company IRS registrations, local/ state, and other tax related issues.
- Oversaw development and implementation of all payroll operations policies to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Administered all salary changes, 401k, benefits and compensation analysis.
- Created and implemented new processes to improve internal procedures in areas including: accounts payable, bank reconciliation, cash flow.
- Reconcile and post bills against item receipts and enter straight bills against correct ledger accounts.
- Resolve all vendor disputes, variances, billing discrepancies, reconcile vendor accounts, and maintain AP files.
- Process checks and credit card payments for vendors on a weekly basis and insure all early pay bills are paid on time.
- Regularly updated computer program source code with coders skilled in accounting & auditing.
- Responsively handled multiple inquires from management regarding complex income tax issues.
- Calculated and fill sales tax for various tax authorities, Back up Payroll data and requirements in QuickBooks.
- prepared monthly and yearly financial statements including Balance Sheet, Profit and Loss Statement.
- Assisted to analyze financial statement and give suggestions to managers for improving accounting operations.
- Led a group of five staff accountants and auditors by example. Produced an annual budget for the main office and satellite office, evaluated and revised from the previous year.
- Audited student accounts for rental income to ensure compliance with federal and state guidelines.
- Agency responsible for supporting 50 families monthly.
- Duties of agency included women’s medical health, child support for one-parent families, finances, education, and development of home based businesses, such as sewing, baking, food preparation.
- Responsible for all accounts payable and receivable, payroll, including management of donations.
- Analyzed trial balances for discrepancies between numbers and their source figures, which verified correct entries within accounts.
- Investigated potential problems in client business practices such as under reporting sales, failure to provide inventory, etc., resulting in positive outcomes when corrective action took place.
You need to make sure your resume stands out amongst the other candidates. It is the first impression that employers have of your work experience and skills. Use the samples above to put together a resume that best suits your needs and helps you get the job you want.